The Community 5k benefiting Girls on the Run East Central Illinois is Saturday, November 9 at 9 am!
Start and Finish at The Mattoon Area Family YMCA
We welcome anyone who wants to run, walk, or skip their way to the finish line, and all finisher’s will receive a finisher’s medal! Don’t delay! Register today!!
Join over 355 girls, their 130 coaches, and running buddies as we cover 3.1 miles throughout Mattoon. This is non-competitive, celebration 5K, and times will not be recorded nor will results be posted. Finishers will receive a medal, lots of cheers and the admiration of all spectators. Everyone who crosses the finish line is a winner!
Girls on the Run is a non-profit 501-c3 with the mission of educating and preparing girls for a lifetime of self-respect and healthy living. Powerful women and men role models lead 3rd-8th grade girls through a ten week program where they use fun running games and experiential activities to help girls learn about expressing themselves, making good choices, creating healthy habits and serving their community.
The program culminates in a non-competitive 5k event which gives each girl a chance to shine and an overwhelming sense of accomplishment. The girls complete the program with a stronger sense of identity, a greater acceptance of themselves, a healthier body image and an understanding of what it means to be part of a team. The programs combine training for a 3.1 mile running event with self-esteem enhancing, uplifting workouts.
The only event with a registration fee is the Girls on the Run 5k, which you can register for at the Mattoon Area Family YMCA or at any of the #SoMuchFun events. For all other events, simply check in at the location!
For more information about the #somuchfunseries, contact Ashli at firstname.lastname@example.org or 217-234-9494.
Firefly Fun Run
7:30 pm, Saturday, Aug. 31
Douglas Hart Nature Center
Show Your True Colors Fun Run
9 am, Saturday, Sept. 28
Mattoon Bike Path
Be Who You Want To Be Costume Fun Run
9 am, Saturday, Oct. 26
Girls on the Run 5k
9 am , Saturday, Nov. 9
Mattoon Area Family YMCA
The Light Inside Fun Run
9 am, Saturday, Dec. 7
Mattoon Lightworks in Peterson Park
Get excited for the next awesome season of Girls on the Run in east-central Illinois! More sites have been added, so we can reach even more girls and bring the power of Girls on the Run to even more people in our community.
Our fall 2013 season begins the week of September 9 and ends on November 14 or 15. The Girls on the Run 5k will be on Saturday, Nov. 9, beginning and ending at the Mattoon Area Family YMCA. You are welcome to join your girl at the 5k for an additional $20. Participation in the 5k is completely voluntary. The $100 fee includes 20 lessons, healthy snacks, water bottle, t-shirt, celebration 5k, finisher’s medal and an end of the season celebration. Full and partial scholarships are available for families in need.
Sites are limited to a maximum of 15 girls, and registration is on a first come first serve basis.
Girls on the Run Locations (3rd-5th Grades)
- Arcola Elementary School: Mondays and Wednesdays, 3:10-4:40 pm
- Arthur High School: Mondays and Thursdays, 4-5:30 pm
- Carl Sandburg Elementary School: Tuesdays and Thursdays 3-4:30 pm
- Fayette County YMCA, Vandalia: Mondays and Wednesdays, 3:45-5:15 pm
- FULL! Jefferson Elementary School: Mondays and Wednesdays, 3:15-4:45 pm
- Moulton Middle School, Shelbyville: Tuesdays and Thursdays, 3:20-4:50 pm
- Moweaqua, North Park Pavilion: Tuesday and Thursdays, 4:15-5:45 pm
- Okaw Valley Elementary School, Bethany: Tuesdays and Thursdays, 3:15-4:45 pm
- Riddle Elementary, Mattoon: Mondays and Wednesdays, 3:15-4:45 pm
- South Side Elementary, Effingham: Tuesdays and Thursdays, 3:30-5 pm
- St. Anthony’s, Effingham: Mondays and Wednesdays, 3:15-4:45 pm
- St. Johns Lutheran School, Mattoon: Mondays and Wednesdays, 4-5:30 pm
- Stew-Stras Elementary School, Strasburg: Tuesdays and Thursdays, 3:30-5 pm
- Sullivan Armory: Mondays and Wednesdays, 3:30-5 pm
- The Mattoon YMCA: Tuesdays and Thursdays, 4-5:30 pm
- Williams Elementary School, Mattoon: Tuesdays and Thursdays, 3:20-4:50 pm
- Windsor Elementary School: Tuesdays and Thursdays, 3:30-5 pm
Girls on Track (6th-8th Grades)
- Mattoon Middle School: Mondays and Wednesdays, 3:40-5:10pm
- Wesley Methodist Church: Tuesdays and Thursdays, 3:30pm-5pm
- Windsor High School: Tuesdays and Thursdays, 3:30-5pm
- Okaw Valley Middle School: Mondays and Thursdays, 3:30-5pm
- Moulton Middle School, Shelbyville: Tuesdays and Thursdays, 3:20-4:50pm
- Vandalia Junior High: Tuesdays and Thursdays, 3:30-5pm